Friday, January 1, 2010

A Look Back in Time

Happy new year. It has been a long time since I have written anything. I just haven't felt like putting myself out there lately. I am going to make an effort to be more dedicated to writing at least twice a week. I am doing this so I have something to look back on for strength and guidance when I need reminded of what works and what doesn't. I cant really do that if I don't write every now and then.


The new year always seems to be a time of reflection. So I started my day thinking back to the first time I lost the weight. What inspired me then. I know that somewhere around the weight I am now that I got stuck in a rut similar to where I am now. What pushed me on the road. I cant remember for certain, but I do recall one event that really shook me. A fellow coworker who is the same age as I am lost his mom in a motorcycle accident. I remember the pain in his face and his eyes. I heard other talk about how you never truly get over the loss. Let me just say now that I have not lost any real close relatives yet. His pain was so deep and is still there to this day, it is just buried deep down. I saw his pain and it made me somehow see that pain on my son's face. This image made me sick to my stomach. It was then that I made a new goal. I wanted to be there with my son the day that he became a grandpa for the first time. I know no one is guaranteed a tomorrow, but by living a healthy lifestyle the odds are better that I will reach that goal.

For Christmas I got a Nike+ Sportband. I am trying to figure out to post my run info here, but I haven't really had time to play with it yet. So far I have gone for two runs. I still need to calibrate it for better accuracy, but right now all of the local school tracks are still covered in snow. I am hoping once schools starts back up again they might clear some of the snow off. With the sportsband I have set two goals and entered into three challenges at nikerunning.com. I have since seen several challenges on other blogs that I would love to give a try, but I am going to stick with the three I have already entered and go from there. If I try too much I will just get frustrated and not finish or accomplish any of them.

My goals for 2010
- Run all three races I ran last year and beat my previous time.
- Run the bolder boulder
- Run a half marathon
- Start a strength training program
- Believe in myself
Of course losing weigh is in there as well, but hopefully that will fall in to place as I accomplish all of the others. I want most of all is to be a better person this year than I was last year. I will post what my goals and what challenges I have signed up for on nikerunning.com later this week

No comments:

Post a Comment